If you own a wood furnace, stove, or even just a fire pit, high quality firewood is an absolute essential for the winter. Other than the holidays, cold weather and snowstorms are a great excuse to bundle up and stay inside. However, that usually means you’ll go through it much quicker than usual. Whether you are hosting parties, looking for a way to cut down on your heating bill, or want to stay prepared in case of a power outage, it’s always difficult to figure out how much you should purchase. With that being said, understanding your everyday uses can help you determine the amount you’ll need for the season.
How much firewood will you use?
The amount of firewood you’ll need is dependant on what you’ll be using it for. Someone with a small decorative fireplace isn’t going to need nearly as much as someone who uses a wood furnace to heat their home. If it is for your home, here are a few questions you can ask yourself to determine your needs:
- How many people do I need to provide for?
- Is it cold enough to require heating every day?
- Is your wood furnace your primary means of heating your home?
- Is your stove gas, electric, or wood powered?
- How much room do I need for storage?
- Are my wood burning appliances efficient?
- Can I hold a supply for the whole season or will I need to reorder?
Generally, we estimate that a 1000 sq.ft house uses roughly three cords of firewood over a typical winter, so you can use this as a baseline to determine how much you’ll really need. Keep in mind that the number could vary depending on how often you use firewood.
How much firewood do I need for businesses such as a restaurant?
Using the above method, estimating the amount you’ll need is a bit easier. However, if you own a restaurant, there are a few different questions you should ask to find out:
- How often does your restaurant use a wood-fire grill?
- Do you plan to use your grill every day or is it more of a seasonal thing?
- Are you looking to achieve different flavours from the wood?
- Do you have enough space to store firewood? If so, where?
- Where are you getting wood from? Locally sourced is cheaper and greener.
- You probably won’t need it to heat your restaurant, but if you live in an especially cold environment, you might. If this is the case, how often would you use the firewood?
Firewood is used in a large variety of business industries and is a household staple! What are you using yours for?
Firewood delivery in The Greater Toronto Area
Van Beek’s offers a wide selection of firewood to help keep you warm all winter long. We also offer a variety of high quality cooking wood for your restaurant, ranging from oak firewood to hickory and everything in between.
Our team of professionals can make recommendations to help you meet the needs of your household or restaurants. Contact us or call 1.866.778.5824 for a FREE quote or more information on how much firewood you’ll need this season!