Lawns sod is a quick fix solution for gardeners who do not have the time to re-seed their garden. It works well if you are looking to repair an existing lawns or plant a new one. The process of installing sod can be quite tedious and there are professionals who will be willing to do it at a nominal cost. However, if you insist on doing it yourself, this systematic guide will be helpful for you.
- Get rid of all the vegetation in your lawns before you lay the sod.
- Till up and loosen the soil. Once the surface is smooth, add the topsoil and till it to the ground.
- Rake in the freshly tilled soil / topsoil mix to prepare an even surface to lay your lawns sod.
- Water this area to settle the soil and prepare a moist base for your lawns sod.
- Once the lawns sod is installed, run a lawns roller over it. This will remove all the air pockets and build strong roots.
- Water the sod within half-an-hour of installation for about 30 – 45 minutes. After that, give the lawns a deep watering once a day (more if the weather is hot) for the first three weeks, and once every other day the following three weeks.
- Allow the grass to take hold firmly before you mow the lawns. Avoid mowing for at least a month and a half after installing the lawn.
Come to Van Beek’s for top quality lawns sod. We have provided all kinds of gardening solutions in and around communities like Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Mississauga since 1962. Our customers trust us implicitly as we stock nothing less than premium lawns sod.