Wood Fireplace in Georgetown
Why use firewood for heating?
Using firewood to heat your home is a great option for a variety of reasons:
- It’s one of the most cost-effective ways to heat a home compared to other popular heating methods such as oil, gas and propane.
- Contrary to popular belief, it’s one of the most environmentally friendly methods for home heating. Firewood is a renewable energy source when forested in a sustainable way, which means that heating your home with firewood can reduce your carbon footprint.
- By limiting your dependency on energy companies, you are less likely to be subject to the negative effects of power failures or price fluctuations.
- A fireplace concentrates heat in the most lived-in areas of your home, creating a warm and comfortable space.
What are the best types of wood for fireplaces in Georgetown?
It may be hard to believe but different types of firewood can create very different results. Take a look at some of the more popular options for wood fireplaces in Georgetown:
- Fir: perfect if you are looking for the soothing sounds of the wood crackling and popping as it burns. It is a softwood that dries and splits easily, making it a convenient choice.
- Oak: a staple in many homes that have a fireplace. It is an efficient choice as it burns slowly and gives off ample amounts of heat.
- Hickory: provides the same benefits as oak while also producing low smoke and adding an enjoyable scent.
- Birch: a popular choice for home heating but it burns quickly, so you should mix it with other types of wood.
At Van Beek’s Garden Supplies our best-selling wood is a mixed blend featuring a combination of both fast and slow burning woods to provide a cost-effective combination that will provide the heat and durability that you’re looking for.
Why use only seasoned wood?
Seasoning your firewood lets the cut wood dry naturally over time. It’s important to season your firewood because wood with too much moisture does not burn well. When burned it causes increased smoldering and heavy smoke to seep into your home rather than into chimney ducts. Additionally, over time this can cause creosote build-up in your chimney – a dangerous and toxic chemical.
Creosote is hazardous when exposed to heat if not taken care of frequently. It becomes a fuel source and can lead to potential chimney fires that are difficult to extinguish. This is why it is important to use firewood that has been professionally and thoroughly seasoned. Using fully seasoned wood burns better and cleaner, which deters creosote from building up quickly.
Where to buy firewood in Georgetown
Enjoy a heated home with all the amenities that come with a wood burning fireplace. Looking for high quality and full seasoned firewood for your fireplace in Georgetown? Contact Van Beek’s, we carry a wide selection of firewood products for all your heating needs!